Everyone likes a free pass every now and then to get something for nothing, or — in many cases — a chance to be “excused” for something done in error or done without permission. But this practice has taken on a new and dangerous face.
Anyone who reads the stories on this site know full well my disdain for the current Mainstream Media practices of picking and choosing winners and losers when it comes to holding folks accountable for things they say and do. No longer is “news” based on truth in reporting facts — good and bad — about people, countries, and things that happen. Today’s “news” is in large part based totally on the political correctness of the day pertaining to whomever and whatever is being reported about. Who shapes that political correctness that is used daily by shaping what America sees and hears? That’s anybody’s guess. And apparently that “Authority” to determine the political correctness of the day is passed around.
Who decides who gets called out and who gets a free pass? Since 2007 it seems that the Mainstream Media as self-appointed arbiters of all things report-worthy AND the shaping of each story to favor one side of the political narrative rather than just report facts. And there are LOTS of free passes floating around today: in every political issue, every ethnic discussion, and every social issue of today. Let’s look at some current “free passes.”
Free Passes of the Day
- Pelosi We could not have this discussion without calling up the latest free pass given by the Leftist Media to the “Queen of PC:” House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Ca). (Listing all her free passes by the media would fill a medium sized notebook) According to a FOX News report, the California Democrat sent out an email last week titled “Mueller FIRED” and asked people to donate to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) amid speculations that President Donald Trump may fire Mueller in retaliation for the FBI raid on his lawyer Michael Cohen. But as the actual fundraiser email text acknowledges, Mueller was not fired by Trump:“I’m so furious I can barely write this email,” Pelosi wrote, according to The Washington Examiner. “President Trump is inches away from firing Robert Mueller and derailing the entire Russia investigation.” The fundraising email was sent on Friday, just a day after Trump reiterated that he isn’t going to fire the special counsel. “If I wanted to fire Robert Mueller in December, as reported by the Failing New York Times, I would have fired him. Just more Fake News from a biased newspaper!” Trump tweeted.
- Comey In our last story we chronicled the lies of James Comey — or at least several of them. In his ABC News Interview with George Stephanopoulos, the fired former FBI Director made some amazing statements that went largely unchallenged. George gave Comey several free passes in the interview. Can you imagine any scenario in which a Conservative FBI Director would not have been challenged for the following? Comey maintained again and again that he was NOT political in his controversial dealings with Hillary Clinton’s investigation or with President Trump. Yet Comey made it clear he made the decision to have those 2 press conferences based on the “political” polls that stated HRC would win the presidency,and that his doing so would not affect the election outcome. That is totally political! Stephanopoulous: “Free Pass” — no challenge; According to the OIG report recently released detailing abuses by former FBI Assistant Director Andrew McCabe and McCabe’s response to that release’s contents, McCabe called Comey a liar and claimed that Comey knew about the releases by McCabe to the press. That’s a juicy news story, especially with the “other guy” sitting down for a television interview and denying McCabe’s claims. Stephanopoulous: “Free Pass” — no challenge; An FBI employee discussing details of an ongoing investigation by the FBI is expressly forbidden. Yet Comey — even though he was fired — talked at will in the interview about the current Mueller investigation into Russian collusion. George: “Free Pass” — crickets; Comey, when asked, acknowledged in the meeting in which he told President Trump about the Steele dossier he did NOT tell the President that the DNC and Clinton Campaign had funded it. When asked why, he stated “No I didn’t. Stephanopolous’ response: “Free Pass” — no challenge.
- Former Attorney General Loretta Lynch Comey famously stated in sworn Congressional testimony that AG Lynch instructed him to not call the Hillary Clinton email server investigation an “Investigation,” but to call it a “Matter.” One week before the Comey ABC interview, Lynch contradicted that statement. His response to Lynch’s denial in the ABC interview: he questioned the honesty, political intentions, and investigative methods of his former boss: Lynch. In fact, it was Comey’s concern about the public’s perception of Lynch’s role in the inquiry that led him to become a more active participant in the investigation, he says now. In early 2016, the U.S. intelligence community obtained classified information that, according to Comey, “raised the question of whether Loretta Lynch was controlling me and the FBI and keeping the Clinton campaign informed about our investigation.” The FBI investigated the claim and found no evidence to support it. In the news world, this was a blockbuster story about the U.S. Justice Department. How did Stephanopoulos respond to Comey’s new allegations? “Free Pass” — no challenge.
American Opinion of Today’s Media
- In its annual confidence poll, Gallup found that Americans’ trust in the mass media “to report the news fully, accurately and fairly” reached its lowest level in polling history, with only 32 percent saying they have a great deal or fair amount of trust in the media. Trust in the establishment media did not begin with the contentious 2016 election and Donald Trump taking the stage, but after a steady decline over the past 20 years, it took its deepest dive yet.
- In a recent Rasmussen poll, 51% of all voters think the current media coverage of political issues and events is worse than it has been in the past. Just 19% say the coverage is better, while 27% rate it as about the same.
- In a detailed poll by Pew Research Group, American voters by political party overall have an unfavorable opinion of truth in news. About Republicans, 11% trust the news media; Democrats: 34%; Independents: 15%.
To say there is (according to American voters) a political credibility perception of the Mainstream Media that is horrendous is an understatement. That distrust comes from about a decade of News Journalism being allowed to slide when it comes to the truth. Yes, that is terrible. But beyond terrible it is dangerous. How so?
Imagine if every American parent allowed their children to in their lives mimic the actions of today’s American media. Here’s how it would work:
- Kids tell lies to their parents, teachers, and other authority figures in their lives;
- Parents, teachers, and other authority figures make substantive decisions for and about these kids based on the lies told by the kids;
- Those decisions shape the culture of the families and all others outside those families with which they interact. That culture is shaped and molded by those lies of the children;
- As those kids become young adults, they find that everyone else in “their” world are products of that same type of culture that evolved through identical environments where truth has been abandoned;
- Those young adults mature and begin employment AND permanent relationships with potential spouses. They bring that culture of acceptable untruth to each of those relationships.
Imagine a world where lying is not only allowed, but accepted without a single challenge. Imagine the bad choices that will certainly be made from that culture. Imagine a world void of ANY substance in communication, action, or deed, and where “anything goes” literally!
All I can say is this: you can have my seat in such a world. As for me, I will continue as long as I can to challenge every lie, every half-truth, every misrepresentation in my life as they show-up. And show-up they will.
My challenge to George Stephanopoulos, Nancy Pelosi, Loretta Lynch, and James Comey: John 8:32 “You shall know the truth and the truth will set you free.”
There’s no need for any to denigrate the intentions, motives, or reasoning behind lies we hear. The truth does NOT need our interpretation. The truth stands alone and is sufficient.
How can we eliminate darkness? Shine a light on it. The light takes care of the darkness without us having to weigh in. Truth does the same thing to lies.
If Truth by itself was good enough for the Son of God, it should be good enough for all of us.