Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi made a return trip to the House podium to accept the gavel as the “old,” new Speaker of the House. The 78-year-old California Representative is and has been one of the most powerful members of the House. I don’t think anyone knows for certain exactly where that power comes from, other than she is extremely persuasive, is historically the best political campaign contributions fundraiser, and smoother and more effective at garnering and using Washington political might and power than most others in Congress. Some say “She knows where all the bodies are buried!” And there certainly are MANY bodies that were victims to D.C. political fallout she, is if not responsible for, witnessed most of the burials.
What Power does Speaker Have?
The Speaker of the House is the presiding officer of the United States House of Representatives. Typically the head of the majority party in the House, the speaker outranks the Majority Leader. The salary of the Speaker is also higher than that of the Majority and Minority Leaders. The Speaker rarely presides over regular meetings of the full House, instead delegating that role to another representative. The Speaker does, however, typically preside over special joint sessions of Congress in which the House hosts the Senate.
The Speaker of the House serves as the presiding officer of the House. In this capacity, the Speaker:
- Calls meetings of the House to order;
- Administers the oath of office to new members;
- Ensures that order and decorum are maintained on the floor of the House and in the visitor galleries;
- Makes rulings on disputed House procedures and parliamentary issues.
As any other Representative, the Speaker may take part in debates and vote on legislation, but traditionally does so only in exceptional circumstances such as when his or her vote could decide very important issues such as resolutions declaring war or amending the Constitution.
The Speaker of the House also:
- Appoints the chairpersons and members of standing House committees and select and special committees;
- Appoints a majority of members to the important House Rules Committee;
- Exerts power over the legislative process by setting the House legislative calendar determining when bills will be debated and voted on;
- Often utilizes this power to help fulfill his or her responsibility of making sure bills supported by the majority party are passed by the House;
- Serves as chair of the majority party’s House steering committee.
Perhaps most clearly indicating the importance of the position, the Speaker of the House stands second only to the Vice President of the United States in the line of presidential succession. Pelosi is the first person to serve a second term as Speaker in the last half-century.
What are Pelosi’s Already Known Power-Plays?
Seven Promises made by Pelosi for Congressional action “IF” she was returned to the House Speaker position:
1. More Investigations of Trump
2. Campaign Finance Reform
3. More LGBT Protections
4. Legal Status for ‘Dreamers,’ No Border Wall
5. Push for New Gun Laws
6. Changes to Obamacare
7. More Infrastructure Spending
Just keep these seven in the back of your mind while her agenda for the House is being rolled out. But while we’re watching and waiting, let’s revisit some things about the “stellar” past of the current Speaker:
Martha Stewart went to jail. Pelosi continues to walk the streets of Washington after making money on insider information—Congress gives itself a pass on the laws that apply to the rest of us. Newsmax noted:
- “Pelosi, D-Calif., and her husband have participated in at least eight IPOs while having access to information directly relating to the companies involved. One of those came in 2008, from Visa, just as a troublesome piece of legislation that would have hurt credit card companies, began making its way through the House. “
- Pelosi’s brother-in-law got a sweetheart deal from the US Dept. of Energy when taxpayers coughed up more than $700 million to a firm where her brother-in-law is a partner.
- Obamacare: Pelosi told Americans, “We have to pass the bill so you can see what’s in it.” Ilya Shapiro with Cato recently said more than 2,000 waivers have been given to organizations and companies across the country. Early on in the waiver process, however, of a sampler of 204 new Obamacare waivers, 38 were for restaurants, nightclubs, and hotels in Pelosi’s Northern California district. Many of the remaining waivers went to labor unions and other Dem-affiliated groups.
- Pelosi, hands down, is an open borders proponent. She wanted to include everyone, even foreign nationals who had no intention of seeking citizenship, in ObamaCare—she didn’t come right out and say it, but if you want to cover anyone who’s in the country, we should take you at your word. Democrats in Congress did nothing about border security; they simply didn’t address the issue. Furthermore, if you’re an American who wants our borders secured, Pelosi says you’re ‘un-American.’
- (TruthNewsNet.org published this 11/18/2018) “A report from the Washington Free Beacon revealed that Pelosi is alleged to have enriched herself and her husband, Paul, through her efforts to “steer taxpayer funds” to a San Francisco-area light rail project. Pelosi’s support for the project caused local real estate prices to escalate such that a large parcel of land owned by “high-dollar Democratic donor” Marc Benioff’s company received a huge profit upon selling it to the Golden State Warriors of the NBA. Pelosi’s husband is also a significant investor in the company. Pelosi pushed for taxpayer subsidies for the rail project for over ten years, and that project did much to boost the real estate market in the area, according to commercial real estate experts. The report says that “liberal billionaire hedge fund manager” Tom Steyer — best-known for funding millions of dollars for national television ads promoting the impeachment of President Trump — may also have been further enriched through Pelosi’s efforts to provide federal subsidies to the project.
Pelosi’s ethical lapses on oversight
- Rep. Charlie Rangel’s (D-N.Y.) tax shenanigans are public knowledge. Despite that, Pelosi left him in charge of the committee that writes tax regulations. An average American would go to jail—Rangel kept his committee chair despite not reporting half his net worth among other lapses. Rangel wasn’t the only shady politician Pelosi tolerated—there’s a long list. Among the names, former Rep. Tim Mahoney (D-Fla.), the late Rep. John Murtha (D-Penn.), now imprisoned Rep. William Jefferson (D-La.)—there’s a very long list.
- Nancy Pelosi is facing accusations of cronyism after a solar energy project, which her brother-in-law has a stake in, landed a $737 million loan guarantee from the Department of Energy, despite the growing Solyndra scandal. The massive loan agreement is raising new concerns about the use of taxpayers’ money as vast sums are invested in technology similar to that of the doomed energy project. The investment has intensified the debate over the effectiveness of solar energy as a major power source. The SolarReserve project is backed by an energy investment fund where the Minority Leader’s brother-in-law Ronald Pelosi is second in command. PCG Clean Energy & Technology Fund (East) LLC is listed as one of the investors in the project that has been given the staggering loan, which even dwarfs that given to failed company Solyndra. Other investors include one of the major investors in Solyndra, which is run by one of the directors of Solyndra.
Although the following is not about corruption or legislative evil conducted by her, this is important to note:
- As evidenced recently in a number of press conferences, Pelosi clearly seems to be losing it. She has often forgotten her train of thought, stumbled for words or names, slurred her comments, experienced pregnant pauses, etc. Something is not quite right. Last year, a Washington, D.C., pharmacist made a very disturbing revelation. He reported providing Alzheimer’s drugs for some members of Congress. In making this revelation, he stated the obvious concern we all should have, “They’re making the highest laws of the land and they might not even remember what happened yesterday.” While we do not know if Pelosi is among this pharmacist’s customers, at a time our nation is in such turmoil, we simply cannot afford to keep members of Congress in office who are suffering from mental health issues.
- Then there’s “Pelosi-Speak: Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., had a different position on borders. In 2008 she said, “Because we do need to address the issue of immigration and the challenge we have of undocumented people in our country. We certainly do not want any more coming in.”
Many things concerning Speaker Pelosi’s past actions supported by American taxpayers concern me. We could spend hours discussing each. But let’s summarize it in this statement: Nancy Pelosi (as have many other members of Congress) found ways to — most-times within the law, maybe sometimes “skirting” the law — enrich herself, family members, Democrat donors, and others with opportunities discovered or created through her power that came from Congress. (Is that statement over-the-top to you?)
The “Power” problem was NOT invented by Pelosi. It has existed in Washington for many decades. Actually, it probably began in the early years of Washington D.C. when legislators discovered the power they had simply from representing voting constituents from their states and districts. Think about this: THEY write and pass laws; THEY determine what taxes to levy against Americans and American corporations; THEY determine what to pay themselves; THEY determine all their own personal benefits; THEY determine how much in “allowances” they are to receive just for being Congress members; THEY determine on which days they work and which days they do not. Members of Congress by giving themselves the ultimate power created the abilities to exert power over people from Washington.
Lord Acton, the 19th-century British historian, famously made this statement: “Absolute power corrupts absolutely.”
Are there examples to which we can point that illustrate this premise? Absolutely! Choose any one of the examples given above (and also in the TruthNewsNet.org story published here 11/18/2018) to see the results of the power that emanates from Congress. You see: everything — yes EVERYTHING — that does or does not happen in Washington is the product of one and only one thing: POWER. “What’s best for the country,” “What voters want,” “What I committed to do or not to do during my campaign,” mean NOTHING! All that matters is what the power-brokers in Congress and elsewhere have placed on the political agenda for members of Congress to do.
Is Pelosi caught-up in this thirst for ultimate power? I have never heard her admit to that. But when suspicious things happen or suspicious things are said, people should at least stand at attention and watch closely so as to garner truths or lies being given. There are too many times and too many examples of Pelosi’s aberrations of her promises given and statements made to detail here. But there are many.
In my opinion, there are only a few things that Pelosi has committed would occur if she was named Speaker I’m certain will happen. And 6 of the 7 she gave that are listed above will she push for. The one “missing” will be Campaign Reform. Why not Campaign Reform? Oh, the House will pass a bill called Campaign Reform. But it will NOT be about meaningful or real reform. Think about it: why would they want reform when Hillary raised twice as much money as did Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election? What they will call “Campaign Reform” will be nothing more than an attempt to change existing law regarding voting (not campaigning) so as to give currently non-registered voters the ability to vote in federal elections. Additionally, any campaign measure they bring up will be an effort to handicap Republicans in elections.
What will happen in Congress? Hopefully in the Senate now with a larger Republican majority, nothing fundamentally structured to further hurt the nation or change the Constitution will be allowed to succeed. But I will guarantee this: the House will do everything possible to find a way to get rid of President Trump. And to do that, they must find some way to rid themselves of Vice President Pence, too. He would replace Trump. And Pence is even more conservative than is the President. What they may do to achieve their ultimate goal of regaining total control of the U.S. government is frightening. I am NOT a conspiracy theorist, but the fact that the Left hates Trump for interrupting their united efforts to take the U.S. toward a totalitarianism system of government than they hate him personally. And I think everyone knows how much they personally disdain Mr. Trump.
I’ve said this to you before and say it here: “Buckle in. We’re in for a heckuva’ ride!”