This is our regular Saturday feature in which we bring you bullet points of the top happenings of the last few days. Feel free to read the short summary. Following each is a link to a complete story expanding the short summary. Feel free to click on the link if you wish more detailed information.
- Hurricane Dorian is still bashing the U.S. east coast after days of blasting the coasts of Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina and has set its sights on New York and up the coast of Maine. Left in its waste is devastation in the Bahamas that has left several islands looking like the remnants of an atomic bomb. Abaco from the air looks like a war zone. For more click here: https://apnews.com/b5170a22a8a14bc584c8d6c1a64825cc
- North Carolina took a big shot from Dorian this past week. Flooding was the main culprit for sending Carolinians packing. Barely one year ago these same coastal areas dealt with massive floods with subsequent damages and have just now finished remodeling, repairs, and rebuilding. Some of the same areas received even worse damages than Hurricane Florence left in its way in 2018. For more click here: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/06/us/dorian-north-carolina-hurricane-victims.html
- On Friday jobs numbers were released for the month of July. It was odd that even news outlets like FOX News expressed caution regarding the economy, even though 100,000+ jobs were created in the month. And African American unemployment has fallen to an all-time low for the month of August. For more click here: https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2019/09/06/black-unemployment-hits-record-low-black-white-unemployment-gap-shrinks-to-smallest-ever
- Many in American healthcare warned with the institution of Obamacare that increasing government control of the industry would certainly create a horrendous shortage of physicians who would flee the vocation as healthcare payers reimbursement would decline rapidly and drastically. Factor that together with the growing segment of elder Americans and that problem is now looking even more traumatic. For more click here: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/06/americas-aging-population-is-leading-to-a-doctor-shortage-crisis.html
- By now all have seen the “new” way to assist those wishing to quit smoking with those new electronic cigarettes. It’s call “vaping.” Vaping has been touted to offer the same things that attract smokers to that smoking experience without the horrors of smoking that have been directly tied to cancer and several different critical respiratory diseases. Even Sean Hannity of FOX News promotes vaping he used to assist him in eliminating his cigar smoking habit. But this past week doctors have released information that attacks the goodness of vaping. And nationwide, serious illnesses plus one death have been attributed to vaping. For more details click here: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/death-from-vaping-in-indiana-california-and-minnesota-more-people-died-at-least-450-illnesses-now-nationwide/
- One of the greatest fears of 21st century Americans about travel is how easy it must be for someone to do something to commercial planes that would cause an in-air incident that could bring a plane own. Who can forget 9/11 and the television pictures of two airliners flying into the World Trade Towers in New York killing 3000 Americans. This past week an American Airlines mechanic was caught sabotaging a plane by messing with its electronics before its schedule flight departure from Miami, Florida. During takeoff an alert pilot notice an irregularity in cockpit instruments and aborted the flight. For more details click here: https://www.apnews.com/6f03105ca6ff4a36bb728626802565eb
- Just 20 years ago no one thought there was any realistic chance that a single website would play a serious everyday role in the lives of several billion humans living in every country on Earth. With the advent of social media — especially Facebook — it came to past. And with that fulfillment of one man’s dreams comes the recent realization that Facebook and Google and Twitter have quietly found ways to dominate through various types of influence in the lives of their members. In the last presidential election Facebook by itself stealthily impacted the voting decisions of millions of voters. The Federal Government and now state governments have begun preparations to look into potentially illegal actions of these social media giants. For more details click here: https://www.wsj.com/articles/states-to-launch-google-facebook-antitrust-probes-11567762204
Enjoy your Saturday morning coffee by catching up with the news stories that interest you. We do this every Saturday.
Have a great weekend!