Boy, what a wild week! Believe it or not, COVID-19 and taking care of it and its victims are not the only things happening in the World this week. Would you like to check-in for the other big stories from the week? That’s why we’re here on Saturdays.
Grab a soft drink over ice or your third cup of coffee, and let’s get to it!
- For the first time in World history, a country has eclipsed the $24 trillion mark in its national debt. Guess who? THE UNITED STATES! On April 7, (Tuesday), the debt for the country zoomed past the $24T marker. For more details, click on this link: https://www.cnsnews.com/article/washington/terence-p-jeffrey/federal-debt-tops-24-trillion-first-time-gao-current-federal
- Apple and Google in a partnership are cooperating in a project to develop the ability for an App to notify individuals (by opting-in) when they have come in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with Coronavirus. For more details, click on this link: https://www.axios.com/apple-google-team-up-on-coronavirus-contact-tracing-6579b80f-f348-4c8e-ac87-d823b9abb4fb.html
- On Friday, gasoline at some stations in the greater Dallas area was priced at $1.29 per gallon. Can you believe it! When in your lifetime in mid-April of ANY year, do you remember gasoline priced so low? Why the deep dive in the petrol market? The demand for gas has plummeted simultaneous with Russia and Saudi Arabia in the midst of attacking each other by flooding international markets with oil — WAY too much oil. For more details, click on this link: https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/04/09/gasoline-demand-lowest-level-52-years-coronavirus/
- Like we need something else to complain about. Kids are home. That means moms are home. School’s out. That means kids are doing online schoolwork at home. That means, “We need peace and quiet!” OK — no problem. We’ll pass ordinances banning leaf blowers! I know it’s hard to believe, but it IS true. For more details, click on this link: https://dnyuz.com/2020/04/09/meanwhile-in-the-suburbs-leaf-blower-drama/
- I’ve heard it all now. There’s a new Netflix reality show that pits a group of beautiful people in unbelievable circumstances that “heat-up” the show. They’re all on the show to try to earn $100,000 NOT to have sex with anyone else on the show. For more details, click on this link: https://tvline.com/2020/04/10/too-hot-to-handle-trailer-netflix-sex-show-video/
- It was only a matter of time for there to be some controversy in the Democrat Party regarding the presidential election coming in November. During the pandemic craziness, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo appears daily on the nationally televised program discussing the state of “Corona-Affairs” in his state. The daily press briefings have made Cuomo something of a superstar. A recent poll’s results say not only do Democrats like Cuomo, they like him running for president more than they do Joe Biden! For more details, click on this link: https://nypost.com/2020/04/10/democrats-want-to-drop-joe-biden-for-andrew-cuomo-poll-finds/
- Interested in living on the ocean and have a lot of money? If you are and if you had $45 million to spare, you could have bought a 6.7 acre compound on the water in East Hampton in New York. “Had” is the magic word. It sold recently for $45 million setting the mark for the year for the most expensive home sale in New York. For more details, click on this link: https://www.wsj.com/articles/oceanfront-hamptons-compound-sells-for-45-million-marking-biggest-sale-of-the-year-11586546785
- If you have spent much time in the Big Apple — especially needing to move around the NYC area from place to place pretty rapidly and frequently — you know the subway system well. You know how crowded they are and how oblivious to each other New Yorkers aboard are of their fellow passengers. How do you think social distancing is working in those packed subway cars? For more details, click on this link: https://apnews.com/49603076a3454c63b1893b9272872fac
- Football fans will be sad to learn that the second iteration of the XFL is gone. That’s right. The league laid off all its employees with the cancellation of the balance of the 2020 season after only six games. A spokesman said they have no intention to play in 2021. For more details, click on this link: https://www.cbssports.com/xfl/news/xfl-suspends-operations-and-lays-off-employees-currently-has-no-plans-to-return-in-2021-per-report/
- Are UFO’s real? A couple of recent happenings have put that mystery back on the front page. A group of mysterious and closely grouped lights have appeared in the area of two U.S. cities, Detroit and Cleveland. Their motions seem to be coordinated. For more details, click on this link: https://sputniknews.com/viral/202004101078906742-ufos-or-lanterns-flying-objects-seen-in-the-night-sky-over-us-cities—videos/
Have you had enough Coronavirus? Boy, I have. I’m ready to take to the streets, stores, restaurants, ball parks, movie theaters, and church. Let it happen and let it happen SOON!
Enjoy your day today. Tomorrow is Easter Sunday, a day of great Christian celebration. We ‘ll be here very early for a celebration of Easter in history.
See you then!